Wednesday, May 6, 2009

More Signs of Spring, or, a hodgepogerry of photography

It's staying light in the evening now, long enough to walk around and get some good shots after dinner. Who's hanging out at the lake these days? (Besides me!?)

Forster's terns are still around and eating fish bigger than their heads! Look at the razor sharp tail on that ninja seabird.

Hummingbird that color coordinates itself with its perch:

Check out the lovely blue green face of this great egret.

And check out egret's supercool park bench hangout. I like its posture here--it had just flown up and landed.

It also comes with a very extendable head, and a bad urban attitude. It was actually taller than me when it did this:


Random turtle. They show up in the lake periodically. They may be washing downstream during the rains, or people may be releasing unwanted pets into the lake. Either way, brackish water is not good for turtles. At least this one made it to the beach:


For Heidi: here are the goslings I promised. This is the third group I've seen, and I think this pair is actually the two I made fun of earlier for defending the spot on top of the chain link maintenance cage. I don't know how you geese did it, but I think you did it. There are three babies; can you spot them all?


And buckeye is blooming now, an adaptation that lets a broad-leaved deciduous tree survive California's summer--it makes a very early effort to get pollinated before it runs out of water and sheds all its leaves around July:

5 comments:

  1. These pictures are pretty beautiful. I like the egret especially.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The egret especially likes you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What amazing shots! I'd love to go birdwatching with you one day so I can learn how it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah! We should go sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable!!!! yay! :D

    The shot of the tern is sweet because it was on the wing, hard shot to get, but the egret looks so cool. But the poor turtle! Great finds. :)

    ReplyDelete