Thursday, May 28, 2009

Brown Blurry Birds

Believe it or not, there ARE other birds around besides geese and their babies. They're just much harder to photograph, what with that whole "up in a tree and totally backlit" thing. Sometimes they come down to tease me for a moment, letting me snap ONE out of focus shot before they're off. I think of these shots as less artsy and more just documentation of who's present in the park.

Here's a sassy little junco showing off a little-seen view of its tum:


And here's a goldfinch:


A common but shy towhee:

And something I haven't seen a lot of at the lake: a mourning dove:

It was closely following a pigeon, in what looked like a doomed love affair.


Sorry mourning dove, I know you two are both Columbiformes and all, but maybe try someone who's at least in your own genera.

5 comments:

  1. That morning dove has rock dove fever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see towhees nibbling in gardens all up and down my street. :-) And I HEAR mourning doves constantly. It was the first and only bird call I decided to memorize so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Towhees have a cool call when they fight each other. I bet you could memorize it with practice! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw! I wish to write a song about doomed love for the mourning dove. IT EVEN RHYMES RIGHT OUT OF THE BOX!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Flying down from ABOVE
    Pigeon gives it a SHOVE...

    Hmmm, this is harder than I thought!

    ReplyDelete