Wednesday, June 3, 2009

In Which Night Heron Takes a Bath (courtesy of AA Milne)

I happened to be contemplating the bird lagoon's algae, feather, and poo levels (=high) when I spotted this night heron doing something unusual. Not so much bathing as just.... standing. In a melancholy sort of way.

I think AA Milne can help tell this story, with Night Heron is playing the Part of Eeyore:


"Night Heron, what are you doing there?" said Rabbit.

"I'll give you three guesses, Rabbit. Digging holes in the ground? Wrong. Leaping from branch to branch of a young oak tree? Wrong. Waiting for somebody to help me out of the river? Right. Give Rabbit time, and he'll always get the answer."

"But, Night Heron," said Pooh, "was it a Joke, or an Accident? I mean - "
"I didn't stop to ask, Pooh. Even at the very bottom of the river, I didn't stop to say to myself, `Is this a Hearty Joke or the Merest Accident?'. "

"I just floated to the surface and said to myself, `it's wet'. If you know what I mean. "


"When stuck in the river, it is best to dive and swim to the bank yourself before someone drops a large stone on your chest in an attempt to hoosh you there."


"Oh, Night Heron, you are wet!" said Piglet, feeling him.

Night Heron shook himself, and asked somebody to explain to Piglet what happened when you had been inside a river for quite a long time.


"I don't hold with all this washing," grumbled Night Heron. "This modern behind-the-ears business."

1 comment: